Saturday, February 28, 2009

Social Hour

I have a mission: To explore the power of social media.

Watching the news this week, I have seen more than six mentions of social media companies on various networks. From Facebook's controversial TOS changes, to Twitter lessons from a budding journalist, broadcasts have been jam-packed with social media buzzwords. 

The conversation of social media is being conducted all over the world, and although I have been actively discussing it in the classroom and at the conference table, I feel it is most appropriate to investigate the topic on its own turf: the Internet.

So, when it comes to social media, my question is the same as everyone else's: How do we use it?

Instead of focusing on the ways we manipulate the social media programs themselves and what information we should or should not publish for the world to see, I intend to start a different conversation: How can we use social media to successfully and interactively distribute our message?

The answer to this question promises to be multifaceted, multiplayer and most of all, multimedia.

Like the carb-free craze of the new millennium, social media is present everywhere. There is a plethora of opportunity to anyone willing to talk. The question now, is how do we get people to listen?

It is this very difficult question that I will attempt to answer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment